Glen,

Sorry if I have been obtuse. It's partly because I can be obtuse and partly
because my means of communication here  at the farm are so primitive that
errors are easy to make and easy to get out of control.

I had just about decided that I shouldn't participate much in FRIAM
discussions over the summer, and then, suddenly, there was Owen, declaring
that philosophy was dead because it was not empirical.   It seemed that what
he meant by philosophy was lofty conversations by people who knew nothing
about what they were talking about.  Well, of course, THAT sort of activity
always HAS been dead.  But you don't get to be a philosopher by donning a
tunic and sandals and talking vaguely concerning matters about which you are
ignorant.  Really you don't!  And I don't care if you are on TED, when you
are doing it.

I fear that the passage you cite might give comfort for that view.
Examining virtue sounds a lot like talking vaguely about something none of
us knows anything about.  But if one looks at how Plato/Socrates examines
virtue it is by exploring the logical relation between statements, including
statements of principle and statements of principle, and statements of
principle and statements of fact.  And -- as I have said ad nauseam -- this
has the FEEL of mathematics to me.  (cf Timothy Gowers).

Philosophers may get the reputation for talking about matters they know
nothing of just because their expertise is in the relations amongst
propositions, not in the content of the propositions, themselves.  Thus,
philosophers can contribute to discussions in which they are ignorant of the
factual basis for the discussion:  it does not follow however - and this is
a typical philosophical observation - that all discussions of subjects by
ignorant people constitute philosophy, even discussions about the nature of
the good.  As to your plumber, if he were reflecting on the nature of
plumbing pipe nets, he would be being a mathematician, if he were reflecting
on the idea of waste and what it implies, he would be being a philosopher,
and if he were telling you how to get your waste into your septic tank, he
would be being, well, a plumber.

I am forwarding this on to some philosophers I know so they can dopeslap me.
I will pass along anything interesting they might say.

Nick