On Oct 10, 2011, at 12:02 PM, Steve Smith wrote:

> Yes, I've been noticing this since the early days, how quickly TB-Ls vision
> was inverted... the "home page" becoming the external face of the
> person/institution/product, not the internal view of what is important...

  But that is the irony of cloud book-marking sites - they essentially provide
a home-page in the original sense.  The services make it a lot easier to
maintain the home-page - although I found HTML 1.0 was easy enough to edit.

>  I still see vestiges of the original in early adopters whose personal
> page(s) read like a set of bookmarks to all the stuff they care about, when
> if done well is not  a bad view for an outsider... not unlike sorting out a
> new acquaintance by the books in their bookshelf the first time you visit
> their home/office.

  The original mechanism was the basis of Google's search engine algorithm.
Fortunately for Google, they don't have to rely upon real home-pages since
there are so many web-sites with so many web-pages to support the number of
in-links, out-links, and clustering coefficient.  The Google algorithm has
changed a lot, along with the web.

> I do not use things like delicio.us myself, but do appreciate those who do
> (and share it with me).   I tend to skip over this one-to-many sharing and
> seek to get a many-many (several-several?) thing going with setting up wiki
> pages.  Unfortunately, this has not worked out well either. Hmmmm...

  My problem with wikis is that they are only approachable through the web.
The data is stored in a database and is difficult to extract for anything other
than the wiki.  Wikis are, in effect, single media systems.

Ray Parks
Consilient Heuristician/IDART Program Manager
V: 505-844-4024  M: 505-238-9359  P: 505-951-6084
NIPR: rcpa...@sandia.gov
SIPR: rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov (send NIPR reminder)
JWICS: dopa...@doe.ic.gov (send NIPR reminder)