OK .. I'm likely to buy an Android phone, but I confess I'm confused by the
differences between the handset manufacturers.

They all attempt to have somehow "improved" on the core Google software.
 And some/most of the phones are locked and/or require jailbreaking to do
do fairly standard things.  But I thought the whole point of android was
being open, right?  And there are radically different reports on battery
life that I don't seem to be able to parse having to do with "task
management", "notifications", and other things.

So I'm confused and there isn't a lot of help on the web. I decided to
simply reduce the choice to the carrier I prefer, TMobile.  These are the
androids they offer (on contract) of interest:

$260    HTC Amaze
$230    Samsung Galaxy S 2
$199    HTC Sensation 4G
$100    Samsung Galaxy S
$100    T-Mobile G2x
Free     T-Mobile myTouch 4G

Do any of us use one of these phones?  Or something close?  Any
recommendations?  Possibly other androids I should consider?  How to tame
them?

Sorry to obsess about phones, but god, this stuff is confusing!  I should
blog post on the differences in cellular tech and protocols, carriers
(Verizon, ATT) ripping folks off, and so on.

Thanks!

   -- Owen