My biggest difficulty with all of this is the causality link between
piracy/counterfeiting and jobs/money loss.  As far as I can tell, that link is
an assertion of the biopharma industry, the RIAA, and the MPAA.  The closest
anyone has come is correlation between claims of the amount of piracy and
industry losses.  These ignore any other possible factors.

  I met with two of Sen Udall's staffers last week and explained to them that
the law, as written, would harm ordinary users, have unexpected collateral
damage, is technically impossible to achieve, and would not survive contact
with reality.  They had received 35 calls that day in the ABQ office against
the laws - many motivated by on-line antics such as Wikipedia's blackout.  I
pointed out the mutability of the Web by telling them they could read Wikipedia
by the simple expedient of not accepting Wikipedia scripts - then the page
shows up and the black out doesn't cover it.

  If any of you haven't read the laws, from a technical standpoint it is based
on a layman's poor understanding of how the Web and Internet work.  The most
erroneous basic assumption is that web-sites are atomic entities - anyone who
uses Firefox with noScript learns that's completely wrong.  The second wrong
assumption is that the web, and DNS, are static.  The third wrong assumption is
that web-sites are geo-stationary.