Steve Smith wrote at 03/14/2012 12:34 PM:
> I'm not sure "Statistics are Lies" is precisely accurate.   I think
> "Statistics are incomplete" and "Statistics are skewed" come closer but
> *even* more to the point, I think, is "Statistics are used to lie".

I can't resist. ;-)  The noun "lie" is interesting.  It's not like, say,
"hammer" ... or "rock" ... well, unless you're a fan of intelligent
design, that is.  A lie is a thing that one might find lying [ahem]
around on the ground.  But somehow we can know just by looking at the
lie, the purpose to which the lie was put.

A lie is more like a hammer than a rock, of course.  Those of us with
hands (or with the neural structures that allow us to imagine hands) can
accurately infer the purpose to which a hammer was put.  The set of
observers capable of accurately inferring the purpose of a hammer is
quite small, but still seems large enough to those of us in the set.
It's not so easy with rock.  Was it designed to filter water? ... or to
execute people who break your laws?

--
glen