Dear Eric Smith (and other patient people),

I have been trying to get the chance to lay this out for three days, and have
just not had the time.  I am enthralled at the moment by the scientific
philosophy of Charles Saunders Peirce because, weird as it is, it seems to
capture a lot of what I think about a lot of things.  It also, it stands at the
root of many of our institutions.  You can access this connection through
Menand's, The Metaphysical Club.   Many of the foundational beliefs we hold
about education and science and even jurisprudence are partly due to Peirce.

I am not sure Peirce thought he needed (1) below,  but I need it to get him
started, so I will attribute it to him.

(1) Humans are a knowledge-gathering species by nature. Darwinism tells us that
humans have survived both as communities and as a species because their
cognitive processes have brought their beliefs into concert with the world.
(Peirce is a bit of a group Selectionist.) A belief is that on which I act.
There are no latent beliefs in Peirce.  Doubt is an incapacity to act.

(2) True propositions and the best methods for discovering them are those on
which the human species, as a community of inquiry, will converge ULTIMATELY.
By ultimately, I mean the infinite future.   Note that this is a definition of
"true."  There is no other truth in Peirce, no correspondence theory, except
possibly that inferred by me in (1 ) . The current views of contemporary
communities of inquiry may be our best shot at the truth, but they are NOT
true, by definition, unless they happen to be that on which the human community
of inquiry will ultimately converge. Peirce was a chemist, a mathematician and
an expert in measurement.  There was no doubt in his mind that the best methods
for producing enduring convergence of opinion were what we think of as
Scientific methods -- experiments and mathematical analysis .

(3) The real world consists of all that is true.

(4) Our knowledge of the world is through a stream of logical inferences. All
human beings are informal scientists by nature.  All human belief is arrived
at, whether consciously or unconsciously, whether by scientist or by layman,
whether by infant or mature adult, by the application of forms of inference and
by experiments and observations whether formal or informal.

(5) Contrary to what many of us were taught in graduate school, there are three
forms of valid inference.  Communities of inquiry (principally “Sciences” to
Peirce) use all three forms of inference, to produce networks of inference.

(6) Deductive inferences such as "A. All Swans are White; B. this bird is a
swan; C. This bird is white." are categorically true.  However, those who
taught us in Graduate School that only deductive inferences are valid, failed
to tell us how we come by either the Major (A) or the Minor (B) premise of such
inferences.   Popper, who influenced many of the scientists in my generation,
used to tell us that they were "bold conjectures."  Big lot of help THAT is!
One of the great strengths of Peirce’s work is that he gives an account of the
origin of “bold conjectures”.

(7)  Peirce honors two additional forms of valid logical inference, which he
calls forms of "probable" inference. .  A probable inference is one whose
strength improves with the multiplication of concordant cases.  Probably
inference can supply the major (A) and minor (B) premises of deductive
inferences from empirical observations. Much of scientists’ daily work consists
in improving the strength of our probable inferences.

(8) The first of these types is induction.  “C. This bird is white; B. This
bird is a swan; A.  All Swans are White.”  It generates the major premise of
the deductive inference above (A), but needs other inferences to supply C. and
B.  With a single case, an inductive inference is valid, but extremely weak.
With the discovery of larger and larger numbers of swans that are white, the
strength (probability) of the inference approaches 1.00.

(9) The second of these types of probable inference is “abduction”.  “C. This
bird is white; A. All Swans are White; B. This bird is a swan.”   Abductions
can generate the minor premise of the deductive inference above (B) but need
other inferences to supply A and C.  An abductive inference based on the
discovery of a single concordant property between swans and the bird at hand is
valid but extremely weak. As more concordant properties are discovered, our
certainty that the bird is a swan approaches 1.00.

(10) The beliefs in the self and in an inner private world are all arrived at
in this manner.  They are the result of inferences (“signs, Peirce would say”)
arising from our experience with the world.   The self’s view of the self is no
more privileged an inference than the other’s view of the self. In fact, on
Peirce’s account, the former is probably based upon the latter by abductive
inference.

(11)  On the account of Many Wise Persons, all the above is based upon Peirce’s
theory of signs.  I confess I don’t really understand that theory, and tried
very hard to get to this point without invoking it.  Your skepticism should be
heightened by this admission.

I will send this off to some people who know Peirce better than I in the hope
that they will correct me.  I will send along any corrections I receive.

Nick

FN#1. Yes, I know that all swans are not white.  I know my ornithology, my
childhood literature and my chaotic economics as well as the next guy.

FN#2.  Some readers may struggle with the idea that calling a bird “white” is
itself an inference.  But, think about how you would go about deciding the
color of something.  You would observe it over time, you would observe it in
various lights, etc., and then DECIDE that it was white.  Whether that process
is conscious or unconscious, systematic or unsystematic, is irrelevant to
Peirce.  It is still an inference.