I agree, Wow, to Eric Charles's summary.

Can I ask, is there any role for finiteness in this discussion?  There seem to
me to be two places the constraints of being finite enter, and the specific
point at which they seem forced by one of the questions that has been asked
(Why would you accept the inductive hypothesis, except on faith?)  is to offer
the alternative answer (Because I am incapable of doing otherwise).  The latter
answer seems more operational than invoking the word "faith", which for all I
know may not mean anything more than "I am incapable of doing otherwise because
I am finite", or the circularity that the inductive hypothesis is the only
premise from which to defend its own use.

Here is one argument for finiteness, which I have pestered Nick with in
conversations long ago.

Suppose I am an input-output machine with a finite number of outputs (and for
that matter, of internal states).  (I intend here to be in the general domain
of Ross Ashby's notions of "requisite variation", but let me not get off on
that.)  If a philosopher objects that I have no _right_ to be finite, and that,
like Paris Hilton, I must "from now on, promise to pay complete attention to
everything", then don't consider me, consider a single type of cell-surface
receptor on any of my cells.  Surely, for practical purposes, we want to model
it as having a finite repertoire of behaviors, whether it has a right to or
not.  It's only a protein.

But a finite thing, in an indefinitely variable world, must then produce at
least one of its outputs as the response to an indefinite set of distinct
circumstances.  (Here, I would be happy to say "infinite", but I mean
"indefinite" as that which "might grow toward infinity if we could keep
accumulating cases".)  In practice, of course, for most cases I could think of,
_each_ of the output states occurs as a response to indefinitely many distinct
circumstances.  Thus, my input-output box partitions an indefinite environment
into equivalence classes, at least one, and probably many of them, of
indefinitely large size.  It cannot do otherwise, being finite.

But my cell-surface receptor has been (naturally-)selected from a finite
history of events.  Again, a practical man, being honest about noise and the
erasure of memory, about costs, etc., would say that it has probably been
selected by a rather short recent history from a rather narrow set of cases.
Thus, the response it will generate, for an indefinite range of circumstances,
has been chosen from a finite set of selection criteria.  It appears that
survival-under-selection of finite objects, then, is perforce a commitment to
one form of induction.   The generation, by the device for however long it
survives, of a potentially-indefinitely-large set of input-output pairs is
being conditioned on a finite set of input-output pairs.

Of course, natural selection is just Bayes's theorem for model selection, with
the fitness being the log-likelihood, and selection on spaces with a finite
number of types is then Bayesian induction on probability distributions over a
finite number of tokens.  I think (?) we believe in statistics that Bayesian
updating is the best general-purpose method we can formalize (Cosma Shalizi,
sometimes solo and sometimes with Andrew Gelman, has written on this).  So
either in thinking or in science, can we claim to be capable of any better
actual, implementable mechanism than an algorithm that (if I am not wrong in
the last par) instantiates the inductive hypothesis?  If we can't be capable of
anything better, than what is the nature of an objection against such
algorithms, besides reminders that they are finite in an infinite world (which,
being unable to fathom an infinite world, we may tend to forget)?

The second argument for caring about finiteness is related.  I am still a
finite input-output machine.

I have a choice.  I can either suppose that a future event will be the same as
-- or structurally close to, in some way I can operationalize -- one of my
past-experienced events under suitably-identified conditions, or I can suppose
it will "not be".  My past is finite.  The number of its histories that I can
actually distinguish may be (for me, _is_) even smaller.  Let's suppose that
the set of all non-comparable futures to anything I have experienced and can
distinguish and remember is, again, indefinitely large.

If I suppose the future will repeat the past, and I am in a circumstance where
that is true, since the past has finitely-many tokens, then I have non-zero
probability to guess the right future.  If I am not in that circumstance, then
I am sure to be wrong.  If I suppose the future will _not_ resemble the past --
and, CRUCIAL POINT HERE , if I am at all honest -- then I must make my bets
over an indefinite set of futures with non-singular measure, meaning I have
measure zero on everything.  Whether or not my environment will repeat its
past, my chances of being right are zero either way.  Again, among my options,
where do I find an argument against choosing induction from the past?  That is,
fine, we recognize the logical limits of induction, but do we have any argument
that any specific alternative could be supported in any better way, or by any
better premises?

Of course, this sounds like Pascal's wager, and the structure of the argument
is similar, but its topic is not similar, because the premises for which one is
arguing in the two cases are not comparable.  A punishing God, whom one doesn't
want to cross -- whether one believes He is a an emotional imprint of punishing
parents, punishing spouses, punishing colleagues, any of whom may hold grudges
forever in response to any act of disobedience, or one believes that the
universe and existence are a subset of human social-psychology (rather than the
other way around) -- is still a particular and arbitrary premise.  The previous
paragraph was about search and methodology.  Search in finite spaces, which may
be feasible, versus search infinite spaces, which is almost-surely infeasible,
addresses a specific problem with which we are already specifically stuck, and
which it is not ours to arbitrarily choose to escape from.

So the rhetorical argument about the religious person who claims that the
grass-is-green induction is an expression of the same flavor of faith as his
support of a cultural dogma, seems to me methodologically unclear in a way that
usually gets used disingenuously.  If we admit that we are all finite, then the
only remaining question is which templates we are inductively generalizing
_from_, in a particular situation.  If you want to generalize from human-social
emotion in discussions about plate tectonics, dark matter, dark energy, or
whatever (I have relatives who do), then that is your option out of finitely
many.  If instead you want to narrow the arbitrariness and try to bundle the
constraints that give the polynomial expansion for gravitational action
functionals (and then just try to identify parameters), or to do the more
complicated version of that for planet formation, then at least we can say by
Occam's razor that you have made a smaller search space that overlaps with a
larger set of more-apparently similar evidence.

I realize that my email here seems (and presumably is) stupid, since every
child knows there can be no discussion of induction that is not predicated on
the availability of infinities.  But, since I am finite, I have tended to think
that the point of these abstractions is to extract salient features of a class
of (actual, realizable) problems which may not fulfill the abstraction, but for
which the abstraction can serve as the appropriate index of a class of problems
that can be extended in a particular direction.  So, in looking at these
"grass-is-grue" arguments, or at almost anything Rorty writes when he wants to
be a gadfly against someone who is getting something useful done (notably, I do
not extend this criticism to his constructive comments about desirable
societies), and in trying to figure out where there is a productive discussion
about scientific methods or claims, it is hard for me to feel other than
confused unless I look at the specific role that finiteness has played in
creating the structure of any of the specific propositions being discussed.

There are, of course, other classes of propositions where one could well argue
against induction, but again, it would be for reasons that can be made
operational and thus comprehensible.  Economists would dislike David Wolpert's
no-free-lunch theorems if they felt them worth reading, since David samples
over complete sets of combinatorial search and optimization problems, and shows
that any expectation that can be satisfied by some cases in such spaces, must
be violated on an equal measure of cases.  The economists (the particular ones
I know) don't want to pursue this, because the discipline wants preferred
solution concepts, preferred equilibria, etc.  But of course, if we were
talking about the design of regulatory systems, in which any set of published
rules becomes a target for gaming, by those who wish to set up an expectation
and violate it, then the need to guard against anti-induction solutions becomes
large.  All this, though, I can do on finite spaces, and compare the severity
of simplified inferences to the size of the violation set, and then look at
limits under scaling of the number of cases.

Also, if I had read Pierce, I expect I would have found that he shows in the
first few pages that arguments of this type are trivial and don't address
anything.  In another life...

Eric