On 6/12/12 1:13 PM, Douglas Roberts wrote:
Thanks, Steve, I just got back a couple of weeks ago: http://mc-california-trip-2012.blogspot.com/

Yes, I had a gas...

Looks like a great trip... I haven't done a long ride in decades... round trip to ABQ still qualifies. If I had your bike I'd probably forget to come home... one of the (many) reasons I don't indulge in such awesome toys. I have much less self-restraint than you (apparently) do. I didn't see a single picture with beer at breakfast for example! Or skinny dipping in any of those lakes! Or maybe you are just better at self-editing than I am.

All that sitting upright and pub-food, however... surely *that* gave you gas. Not tempted to route some of that "methane/H2" mixture into the carbs (oh... probably fuel injected... so into the air intake?) when you thought you were not going to make the one-gas-station town of Caliente UT?

Me, I always drive *faster* when I think I might run out of gas... welll, maybe not any more, but I *did* do that once... not out of ignorance of aerodynamics and fuel economy, but some kind of willful frustration with myself and the universe... the last 20 miles *were* downhill and it only took 2 hours to push/coast into the only gas station open on a Thanksgiving morning 1976! I could have been there 1:45 earlier *without* pushing if I'd just ridden very carefully... maybe a little deliberate hypermile coasting, etc. But noooo!

Anecdotally yours!
 - Steve