> The innocence of many of your questions as posed should be more overtly
> valued...  many of us are busy asking (quietly) similar or related
> questions.

Amen!
A thing to think about re: mixing of alcohol and water is that both are
polar molecules, and thus mutually attracted, which no doubt helps keep
them from separating. However, since they are also equally attracted to
themselves, they could conceivably settle out were it not for the
aforementioned phenomena such as convection, et cetera. A solution however
(and I think no distinction is made about the states of the materials [for
example, the gas CO2 can dissolve in water to form carbonic acid, the
burning sensation felt when consuming carbonated drinks], although it is
hard to imagine a solid dissolving in a solid) would need to be
electrolytically separated, is my understanding of the difference in
definitions. The reason for this is, taking the example of salt in water,
is that the salt separates into it's ionic components (for reasons unknown
to me pending further reading) which then would repel each other...or only
the like-charged ones would. Hm, I guess that too is pending further
reading.
-Arlo James Barnes