Excellent series of explanations, Bruce. Do you by chance have a specific
reference to the ten-pin structure and its relation to group theory?  Thanks
... Dean Gerber

________________________________
 From: Bruce Sherwood <bruce.sherw...@gmail.com>
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:38 AM
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Celebrating the Higgs - explaning and predicting

Good points, Saul.

If I remember correctly, before the Bohr model, people looking at the
hydrogen emission spectrum had already discovered an empirical formula
for the frequencies of the emission lines:

f = constant*(1/n1^2 - 1/n2^2)

Bohr's model yielded the same formula, with Planck's constant times f
being the energy of an emitted "photon" when the atom's "quantum
number" changed from n2 to n1, and the model also provided an
evaluation of the constant in terms of known quantities such as the
mass of the electron.

I should mention that the ten-pin diagram is a graphical
representation of a particular structure in group theory.

Bruce