Nick (aka NST) -

One possible response to this comment might be to just tell me to piss off until I have read the article you are referring to.

I think you caught the implications without having read the specific article that I recommended. We are obviously wandered into territory which you have explored before... I definitely welcome your weighing in here.

As argued in this article <http://jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/12/1/9.html>,

Which I just read.   I was previously not familiar with JASS.
http://jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/12/1/9.html

the disassociation of predictive and explanatory power seems misguided.
    http://jasss.soc.surrey.ac.uk/12/1/9.html

I suppose a statistical function of many observational variables could have no explanatory power beyond the many variables on which it is based, but then it would only predict what it already knew. It would "just" be an intervening variable, and not a hypothetical construct, at all. As we have agreed, some explanations can have "facetious" content, that is not predictive, but that content is not really explanatory, either. Darwin certainly did not believe that Nature was a breeder who chose the better adapted individuals for breeding.

Quoting NST (you) from the article:
"Modeling is the systematic deployment of the human capacity for metaphor and is central to all scientific activity. Models don't stand or fall on their detailed verisimilitude, but on their capacity to capture the essence what is already known about a phenomenon and to generate expectations concerning what more might be discovered if the scientist were to look where the model pointed."

This point is a very key one IMO... it is roughly what I base my own work in the development and application of Metaphor (Complex Metaphors and Metaphor Complexes) in Information/Data Visualization and Visual Analytics.

I *think* that what we are discussing here is the role of *explanation* in Science? I think what you are referring to as "facetious" content above (e.g. Darwin's description of Nature as an animal/human husband, selecting individuals for selective breeding...) is merely an extreme end of the use of analogy to explain. I presume that Darwin's choice of analogy was deliberately extreme to make it as familiar as possible to the totally uninitiated. To those already somewhat on board with the general model, I presume they *all* dispensed with the misunderstandings implied.

We should perhaps talk more about his offline as I can already hear poor Doug's eyeballs rolling in his sockets, but I would like to elaborate for/with you what I mean by Metaphor Complexes... as they may be directly responsive to this problem of "facetious" content. In particular, if we admit to a whole series of layers of explanation from the most fanciful but accessible to the most complete and accurate but mundanely obscure. My interest is to build a scaffold from the most fanciful to the most mundane, or the most accessible to the least in the interest of A) Helping an individual build a mental (and possibly mathematical) model of a phenomena for themselves in the pursuit of exploration and discovery in some phenomenological domain; and B) helping said individual blaze a trail that others can follow from an accessible if fanciful explanation to a more complete and accurate if obscure (and presumably useful one). Perhaps what I'm suggesting is to build a stack of models that span the spectrum from explanatory to predictive, fanciful to mundane.

For this I need to retain the distinction. I would prefer to think of my Metaphor Layers as various renderings or projections of aspects of a *single* model which has *all three* Explanatory, Descriptive, and Predictive qualities.

- SAS

Nick

PS And isn't  "real existence" the ultimate hypothetical construct?