As a youngster, I read a (stunning :-) book that contained this:

  “What the hell are you getting so upset about?” he asked her bewilderedly in
a tone of contrite amusement. “I thought you didn’t believe in God.”

“I don’t,” she sobbed, bursting violently into tears. “But the God I don’t
believe in is a good God, a just God, a merciful God. He’s not the mean and
stupid God you make Him out to be.”

Yossarian laughed and turned her arms loose. “Let’s have a little more
religious freedom between us,” he proposed obligingly. “You don’t believe in
the God you want to, and I won’t believe in the God I want to. Is that a deal?”

(for a more extended quote:
http://niqnaq.wordpress.com/2009/07/19/the-god-i-dont-believe-in-is-a-good-kind-god/
 )

  If you haven't read (or haven't recently . . .) Heller's book, you really
should :-)

  Thanks . . .

tom