Eric,  For people for whom God is a normal part of their everyday world,
faith is not an issue. They simply know whatever it is that they know. It's
not matter of faith any more than it's a matter of faith that I'm typing on
a keyboard right now.

I mentioned religion because that's where the discussion of faith started.
(I think it did anyway.) But my definition of faith does not require
religion; it only requires that one believe something for which one has
inadequate reason for believing it -- other than one's faith that it's the
case. By "inadequate" I mean inadequate according to that person's normal
way of deciding what to believe. I don't want to impose any
particular epidemiological perspective on anyone.

Nick, I think it's the other way around. As Eric said, faith is a subclass
of belief. Faith is a belief you hold for reasons outside your
normal epidemiological processes, i.e., a belief you hold that you would
not hold were it not for your faith in that belief.

Steve, Your post is too long for me to comment on it here.

*-- Russ Abbott*
***  Professor, Computer Science*
*  California State University, Los Angeles*

*  My paper on how the Fed can fix the economy: ssrn.com/abstract=1977688*
*  Google voice: 747-*999-5105
  Google+: plus.google.com/114865618166480775623/
*  vita:  *sites.google.com/site/russabbott/
  CS Wiki <http://cs.calstatela.edu/wiki/> and the courses I teach