Made sense to me.

On Sep 23, 2012, at 11:29 PM, Steve Smith wrote:
Random anecdotal examples aside, my central point of "faith" as an article of a validated model vs "Faith" as a more consciously adopted element not backed up by the same type of validation seems pretty concise.

-- Russ Abbott
  Professor, Computer Science

My paper on how the Fed can fix the economy: ssrn.com/ abstract=1977688
  Google voice: 747-999-5105
  Google+: plus.google.com/114865618166480775623/
  vita:  sites.google.com/site/russabbott/
  CS Wiki and the courses I teach

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 9:58 PM, ERIC P. CHARLES <e...@psu.edu> wrote: But Russ... if you concede Tory's point, then I think you are quite stuck.

There are many, many, many people for whom the everyday world contains a divine being... and the everyday world is the everyday world. There are people who train hard to see God surrounding them, and there are people for whom it seems to come quite naturally (which is not to say it didn't develop, just that it came easily). For these people, by your definition, belief in God, and belief that God will continue to be with them forever, are NOT issues of faith.

Eric

P.S. I have no idea what Nick will say about "faith" vs. "belief"! I think the concepts overlap pretty obviously, i.e., faith seems like it should be a subclass of belief. On the other hand, one could treat them as two different ways of talking about the same sort of thing. If we can get past your odd claim that faith has to be religious AND that religious things are not part of everyday life, I would be very interested to know how you think the two relate.