Nick -
Shame and Guilt are definitely implicated in the loss of Privacy, but not the whole story. And the *legal* aspects come *after* the social and the human aspects of the topic.

Eric -
Privacy is a fundamental *need* of humans. I'm not sure where it comes from or what other animals share that need, but it is fundamental and unequivocal for humans, despite many situations where *overt* privacy is highly compromised.

I think the "voluntary" aspect of much of our information exposure is somewhat of a red herring. I do not think most people appreciate how *exposed* their information is. For lots of reasons, we fail to read or ignore EULAs and Service Use Agreements all the time. We don't always appreciate the unexpected ways disparate information about us can be fused to infer new information.

In some ways, saying that we *voluntarily* put our information into the public sphere is a lot like the arguments that women who do not remain fully scarfed in public are inciting sexual violence against them. Public figures, especially attractive young female entertainers, *know* that Paparazzi with very long lenses are stalking them all of the time. Whether they have anything to be ashamed of or feel guilty about is moot, their nature as public figures in the sightline of public places makes them fair game for such invasions of privacy. It is equally inevitable and unhealthy for stalked and stalker alike IMO.

All -
I think the term *stalking* also carries a connotation of engagement. A stalker who never reveals themselves, nor acts overtly on the knowledge they gained as a stalker is something else... perhaps a voyeur?

I was once a private investigator and my job was, at it's core, to bend the boundaries of people's privacy if not to invade it directly. I was careful about how far I took it and thoughtful about what I did with what I learned.

I left the profession for many reasons but one issue was that the private things I knew about many people weighed heavily on me. I took at most passing prurient interest in some of these things, and mostly curbed myself from abusing my unwholesome knowledge of others' lives (mostly in the context of conflict of interest when I learned things about my clients or took on clients who I already knew too much about). By the time I left it, I did not respect the profession, even in it's idealized image.

As my wife's tech support, I have access to all of her e-mail and web history. I even set her up with Skype and turned on auto-answer so that she could check in on the dog at home from her smart phone (when she understood the implications of this, she made me turn it off). It is understood between us that I do not abuse the privileges my superior technical position gives me. She also has 30 years of journals shelved within 20 feet of me which I could pull down and read at the drop of the hat. It is important to her well-being that she feel secure in her privacy and it is important to my own emotional health that I not transgress, even if she "would never know". I'm pretty sure she does not riffle my wallet or backpack or check my phone history, for precisely the same reasons.

I contend that there is as much damage to the invader of privacy as there is to the invaded. Who do we become when we do not respect the boundaries of others? Who are we as a society when we allow or encourage others to transgress? I understand the arguments for Law Enforcement and Intelligence and Security *wanting* to spy on people freely... to restrict the use of cryptography, etc. but they don't outweigh the risk of who we become when we do these things. Unfortunately they really don't ask my opinion, much less permission in such matters. Subsequently I have a lot of mistrust for those apparati.

- Steve

Nick,
I have struggled with parts of this quite a bit. As you know, I am a somewhat-crazy Libertarian, and so get stuck in conversations like this on a fairly regular basis. In particular, I reject the idea that privacy is primarily about protecting people from shame or guilt. I believe that privacy (of a certain sort) is a basic right that is essential to a free society. Alas, it is difficult to explain why, as whenever I assert the right to not have certain information public, whomever is on the other side of the argument immediately tries to back me into a corner of being ashamed of whatever it is I want to keep private. There are a few things in my life I am indeed ashamed of, but very few, and I would probably tell most of them to anyone who asked. On the other hand, there are many things that I would like to keep private, and would probably not tell anyone who asked. How to explain the difference?

The best I can say, I think, is that I see the right to (mostly) privacy as inextricably linked to the right to (mostly) self-determination. Whether people should have the latter right is certainly up for debate, but I think it has been a cornerstone of US culture through most of US history. At the least, it has been a cornerstone of our social myth structure (for sure if you were a white male, off and on for other groups). The idea that one could get a "fresh start" in America motivated many an immigrant... and /part /of getting a fresh start was people not knowing everything about you that those you were leaving knew. The mythic Old West was also largely based on such a principle.

The ability to control (to some extent) what people know about you is often key to achieving goals (or at least it seems that way). Imagine for example, the otherwise charismatic man with "a face made for radio." He might or might not be ashamed of his looks, but either way he has an interest in keeping his face (mostly) private until his career is sufficiently established. To put it in a more Victorian tone: There are certain things, we need not say which, that I am not ashamed of, and yet it would be inconvenient if they came out. Of those things we shan't speak, and it should be my prerogative to protect them as I see fit against the inquiries of others.

To complicate your inquiry, one of the big legal issues in the fight you see brewing is this: Most of the new slush of public information you are concerned with is put out their /voluntarily/. The GPS in your phone turns on and off (and if not, you could get a different phone). Your posts, emails, blog entries, online photos, etc. are all being made public intentionally. Those software and website user agreements few ever reads often include consents to use your data in various ways, including making parts public.

The old ideas of stalking, I think, mostly involved the accumulation of data against the will of the "victim", and could potentially include the gathering of both private and technically public information (i.e., court records). I don't know how you could make a legal case against someone who only knew things about you that you intentionally threw out into the world for the purpose of people knowing it. If you wander around town everyday without clothes on, it would be hard to accuse someone of being a "peeping Tom" just because they saw you naked.

Eric

--------
Eric Charles
Assistant Professor of Psychology