Marcus,
This is the perfect example of where privacy and self-determination collide. To
avoid arguing about the brain in particular, lets assume it was a whole body
scan, and that somehow it could pick up on whatever variables someone cares to
bring into the discussion. Still, it would not be able to tell you with perfect
accuracy who was going to be violent. At best it would be able to tell you
"This person will be violent if they find themselves in the following quite
specific conditions....."

The problem is that this still doesn't tell us what to do. Do we "treat the
person" or "treat the condition"? What if the person is already successfully
treating the conditions?

For example, how long did Bruce Banner go without incident before S.H.I.E.L.D.
sent Black Widow to pull him back in? Who's the monster now? Well, Nick (Fury),
who's the monster now?

That is somewhat serious.

If we find out that someone will become violent in a very particular situation,
and the person is aware of their problem and has successfully avoided those
situations for quite a while... on what basis could we claim the right to force
them into some sort of treatment... no matter how successful it is. There are
quite a wide varieties of lives that people can live, this includes lives spent
as a hermit, lives spent smoking pot, etc. There will never be a way to use a
body scan to determine with certainty that there will be future violence in a
particular person's particular life.* I f a person has not publicly displayed a
violent tendency, it seems to me that they have a right to keep the so-called
tendency private, and that this has potentially quite important consequences
for their ability to pursue a chosen path as they see fit.

Eric

*Unless of course we can scan them in the middle of a violent act, while we
have some knowledge of how their environment will continue in the immediate
future. But that is a special and not particularly interesting case.

--------
Eric Charles
Assistant Professor of Psychology
Penn State, Altoona