Ed wrote:

"If you want some further evidence, take a look at the membership of Kronos
committees. The research and education communities are almost totally
unrepresented on any of them and they are the ones that are setting the
standards that will determine the next generation of hardware and software."

Sure nVidia implements OpenCL, but they do it just to check the box off.
Their real investment is in CUDA.  I'd say they participate to just give
the appearance of being good citizens in the standardization process.  I
claim for such a company the standards are pursued when they serve to fight
a larger monopoly, and they get minimal investment when it doesn't serve
their purposes.  For example, for a while AMD used OpenCL to discriminate
themselves from nVidia (the little guy in *that* example).

If the research or education community want to influence GPU technology,
they should step up and hack on Mesa.  I think the reason that GPU vendors
cling so tightly to their driver & compiler software, is because their
hardware is not _that_ complex.   They don't want smaller players getting
their fangs into their very profitable market.

Marcus

http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE