"The ecology I live in is a swamp, a morass, a milieu..."
Marcus noted:
The swamp will always form.  You don't have to care about a swamp.
I think you mean "you don't have to care *for* a swamp" ?

I agree, that is why I live in a swamp. I care for my tools but let the morass flourish.

CP/M <==> Go Kart in a Washtub
DOS <==> Bass Boat with weak outboard motor and a bent propeller
Winderz 95 <==> Above with a fancy paintjob.
Winderz 2K <==> add cooler full of Bud Light
Winderz NT <==> add Doritos
Winderz XP <==> add ice to the cooler
Winderz 7 <==> add fresh paintjob and a piezo-electric cooling element for the cooler
Winderz 8 <==> munno yet, more paint, add Coors Light?
MacOS <==> Jetboat with an undersized motor, nice paintjob and a small bomb in the ice chest.

BSD Unix <==> Airboat with *everything* built from parts found at the hardware store, complete blueprints included.

AIX/IRIX/HPUX/Solaris/etc... Airboat with various custom parts, corporate paint job, and half of the blueprints locked in the glovebox (or just wrong), high priced mini-bar filled with stale-dated items, etc.

OSX <==> Airboat with unibody Titanium hull, fresh paintjob (white, black, or gloss clearcoat), built-in double fridge with a variety of frosty beverages, a selection of fresh sushi and a selection of healthy snacks.

Linux <==> Airboat after 20 years of DIY tinkering, bring your own damn snacks (Jolt Cola and Twinkies or a selection of fine wines and cheeses)

Command Line tools <==> good set water sandals, cutoff shorts, fishing line and hook, multi-tool, locking blade knife, flint and steel, compass, iodine, salt tablets... A good thing to have along if you know how to use them. Otherwise probably just extra baggage.

Marcus

http://link.mail2web.com/LIVE