I think higher education as we know it is in the early stages of a critical phase change or inversion of some kind. For better and worse.

I'm curious what our younger members who might still be in the process of getting their (first round of) education see from their perspective?

- Steve

I had roughly equal numbers of lectures and tutorial sessions at Reed for two years, almost entirely tutorials from then on. Math was entirely taught in tutorial sessions. All tutorials were led by professors or advanced undergraduates. All lecture courses had a tutorial component.

Most of the people at a college are your fellow students so you're bound to have a lot of interactions with them. What proportion of those interactions are educational or Educational or not worth remembering surely varies a great deal.

Richard Hamming had damning words for entertaining lecturers, he felt they invariably cheated. The experience of listening to them lecture was always followed by the disheartening discovery that you had no idea how to do X, even though X should have been covered right between W and Y in the lecture. The lecturer omits X because it's messy and it spoils his delivery.

-- rec --

-- rec --