S.M Stirling (Santa Fe based, prolific Science Fiction author) addresses this to some extent in his series (first was /Dies the Fire/) set in a post apocalyptic world.

The Apocalypse was simply the supposition that the solar system moved (whatever this means physically is hard to figure but bear with him) into a region of the universe where the rules of physics changed just subtly enough to make all electronics and all high-energetic systems (internal combustion, dynamite, gunpowder, C4, etc) fail to work, throwing the world into an artifact and material rich, energy-poor world. The next 3 or 4 novels explores, in fact, the fuedal-agricultural world (set primarily in the Pacific Northwest) that emerges in the wake of "the Change".

The main antagonist relation was between those who chose to respond by trying to figure out how to create a sane and self-supporting culture on top of this plethora of artifacts but without any obvious source of concentrated energy beyond human and animal and those who chose to be parasitically violent, subjugating the former wherever they could.

Stirling is a gifted world-builder/storyteller and a great read if you happen to be into post-apocalyptic epics... He's also an interesting person in-person.

In this case, the lack of fossil fuels is their lack of efficacy, not their literal lack of availability (though the refineries would presumably fail quickly anyway). There might have been mention that steam-power was still likely possible, but i can't remember.

A friend of mine happens to own what might be the oldest known steam automobile... it is a 189? Locomobile, the very one in fact used in the most recent making of HG Well's Time machine. For what it is worth, he told me the story (as he was building steam to give me a ride) of how much new tech was required to make a steam auto possible. A liquid-fuel burner had to be developed (including the system now used in "coleman stoves") which is primed by pressurizing the tank, but then uses the heat of the flame to maintain the pressure. The "boiler" was equally problematic as anyone working with steam knows, it is easy to over-pressure and cause a catastrophic explosion. The solution used canon-building technology... a cored steel cylinder *wrapped* in piano wire to make it stronger. Even this could be overpressured, so the *ends* were capped with steel plates drilled with a multitude of holes, copper tubing inserted through the holes (and the vessel) and *swaged* onto these ends. The result was dozens of parallel tubes which the flame/exhaust could be routed through to transfer heat to the boiler water/steam but which if overpressured would gently pull the tubes out of their swaged holes and release the pressure fairly gently... something important since the boiler could not be removed from the driver and passenger far enough to be otherwise safe. Also, I believe this might have been when the modern "differential" was developed. The Locomobile still steered with a "tiller" but soon after, automobiles started sporting "steering wheels".

An early motorist (or pilot) had to at least be their own mechanic if not practically a full-fledged engineer just to use and keep operating a simple automobile. Getting from steam trains and traction engines to the automobile as a non-trivial step, complicating the matter you bring up.

As a (sad?) corrolary, it is possible that large scale urbanization and agriculture could never have emerged without an effective slave class. If we fell back into pre-agriculture and pre-urban circumstances, we might have to drop our current social mores to climb back up out of hunger-gatherer or herd-follower?
At the risk of hijacking the thread... I liked the comment on the ycombinator:

    PeterisP

    There exists a viewpoint that in case of a cataclysm (which would
    involve man-made objects disappearing*) we would never, ever
    progress past 18th century tech again.
    The argument is that getting from animal-powered devices to
    solar/nuclear/whatever powered devices while at the same time
    switching from 90%-agricultural workforce to anything more
    progressive can happen only if there is a cheap source of energy
    available - and we already have mined and spent all of easily
    available fossil fuels.
    Even if all kinds of fancy devices are available and constructed
    by rich enthusiasts, the lack of cheap steam power ensures lack of
    cheap steel/etc, and all the technologies don't get the mass
    adoption required for their improvements, there are almost no
    advantages for industrialization, so the world gets stuck in
    feudal-agriculture systems as the local optimum.

which suggests the Knowledge Ark <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knowledge_ark> would be largely a waste of time.

* refers to a preceding comment.

Robert C