There are self-organizing groups popping up around MOOCs.  MeetUp is great for
facilitating things like that.  Here's one example (in the Washington, DC area):

Data Everywhere (http://www.meetup.com/Data-Everywhere/?gj=ej1b&a=wg2.3_rdmr)

"This is a group for anyone interested in learning anything and everything
about Data Science, Analytics, Big Data, Data mining, Predictive Analytics and
Statistics. There are no presentations and pizza. Just learning and doing. We
will follow Data Science/Analytics related courses offered on Coursera as a
group and have regular meetups as the course progresses. Looking for people who
are serious about hand on learning. Come out and join us!!!!"

Admittedly, that group is for adults interested in doing self-directed learning
toward a subject that most likely has applicability to their livelihoods.  The
situation may be different for students in HS and college who don't have that
context yet, and, especially in HS, may have had much of the joy of learning
sucked out of them...

Neal Stephenson's "The Diamond Age" is what came to mind for me when reading
the last paragraph of the Washington Post article below, although I haven't
read Clockwork Orange and don't have much desire to given how disturbing the
movie is.  Diamond Age includes a nanotechnology instruction book for the main
character (a young girl) which, if my vague memory is correct, behaved much
like the description in that paragraph.

Brent