Going through some old emails and completing and sending drafts I had.

>    I voted for Obama more because he was young than because he was
> not-white.

 He is young compared to most presidents, but JFK and Teddy Roosevelt
outflanked him, and nobody can go younger than 35 (I don't believe the
30s-40s barrier has been breached yet). Not that it matters - I think two
42-year-olds can relate to each other as much or as little as a 25- and a
55-year-old; what depends more is interests, and their living situation.
However, the *perception* of age still seems to matter to people for
whatever reason. You may notice that when Obama wants to look like the
fresh new face (whenever I think of that expression, I think of how acne is
predominantly a teenage affliction) of America, hope and change and all
that (as seen in election campaign events), he dyes his hair black...when
he wants to look put-upon, as when dealing with Republican leadership, he
dyes it greyer. Probably it is naturally somewhere in between.

> I want my children's generation

 I recognize that it is a colloquialism, but is there really any good
reason to use the concept of 'generations'? I may have said this before on
this list, and have definitely said it elsewhere, and will doubtless say in
in the future. After all, humans are not born in batches, and most societal
changes either happen gradually or affect people of all ages. And there is
the question of how generations are defined: for example, my parents born
circa 1950 are solidly in the Baby Boomer generation, so as their child I
might fall in Generation X - but many Generation Xers have children or even
in some cases grandchildren  my age. And what generation they are called is
uncertain also...are they Generation Y? Generation Next, as the New Mexican
seems to call them? The Internet generation (Vince Cerf, Doug Engelbart,
Tim Berners Lee et al. should feel a bit ignored for that)? What was the
'Me' generation again? Some people are calling the youngest members of
society right now 'Generation Z' - once we run out of Latin characters do
we switch to Greek, like hurricanes?
Basically I think it is a silly arbitrary system, but would welcome any and
all arguments to the contrary.
-Arlo James Barnes