I can't help but wonder why we don't extend the "virus" (or "infection")
metaphor all the way out.  The way viruses interact with our bodies is
pretty !@#@$@& complex.  I don't know of any naturally occurring viruses
that are (purely) beneficial.  But there are many that are, in some
sense, neutral.  It's reasonable to think there exist beneficial
viruses, analogous to probiotic gut flora.  Toss that into the hat with
endogenous retroviruses and a somewhat rebellious attitude I hear from
some people about purposefully exposing themselves to dirty contexts and
refusing to use hand sanitizers in order to keep their immune system in
good shape, and you begin to see a stark difference between the metaphor
as used in computer networks versus the real thing.  (Sheesh, is that a
run-on sentence?)

I know a few radically "open" advocates here in Portland who refuse to
secure their wifi access points/routers with passwords, allowing their
neighbors and passers by to access a demilitarized zone on their
network.  This results in a "donation" of bandwidth to the public.  But
despite their technical efforts and skills with their internal
firewalls, it still puts their network at risk.  I would think we might
extend the "infection" metaphor deeper and develop layers and
sub-systems of different sorts of "immunity" against botnet, worm, and
virus infections.  But some of them, perhaps running BOINC or like this
mapping botnet, could be considered healthy infections, perhaps even
crowding out bad infections (e.g. Aida) like the good bacteria in our guts.

--
glen e. p. ropella  http://tempusdictum.com  971-255-2847