On 5/2/13 11:25 AM, glen e. p. ropella wrote:
I think you answer your own questions, right?  The reason for people's
(false) expectations regarding computers like set top boxes or webcams
is _because_ of your latter argument.
I don't agree, I think it's just because people don't think about the consequences of their own actions. They want some parental type person looking out for them in some vague general sense (the white hat engineer). But what that means is something no one could really agree on, and most definitions we might agree on would just be oppressive.

Marcus