Bravo!, Glen. I've uttered precisely those words many times: "...there is no such thing as teaching. There is only learning".

This can be understood when one asks the question "What is leaning?" I contend that, at least, it is a lifelong construction (creative) project on the part of the learner to develop an internal (mental) organization of interrelationships of elements and systems of elements. (It is composite - nested). Like any dynamical system, this internal mental network of interrelationships requires constant maintenance, repair, reorganization, regulation and adaptation. "Information transfer" may be involved, but it is not the essence of the dynamics that occur.

But, access to this internal dynamical system (our individual internal "learning tree") is mostly limited to the "learner" and is not directly available to "outsiders" (parents, teachers, politicians, etc.) In other words, this construct is strictly private to the learner. Because of this limited access, "teaching" is not possible - or very limited.

If one wants to "teach" someone else, the most productive route is to attempt to *evoke* elements that are already in that persons internal mental construct - rather than to directly try to alter it. You've got to try to entice its "guardian" (the learner) actually do the altering. After all, "educe" (the root of "education") means to "pull from out of" more than it means to "introduce into".

But, of course, "educement" and evocation are the province of artists - not engineers or soldiers ("teachers"). "Educement" is more like fishing than it is like hunting. Enticement is involved. "Teachers" have to become "artists" if they want learning to occur - not engineers, or soldiers.

Of course, "educement" requires mostly a 1-1 relationship between "student" and "facilitator" - like mentoring, apprenticeship and tutoring. Unfortunately, such an approach is not scalable. If we want to indoctrinate the masses, these kinds of personal relationships between "student" and "teacher" don't scale to that volume.

Anyway, I find the whole process of "teaching" to be suspect. It may be well-intentioned; but it is sometimes more politics than compassion. Teaching campaigns - like institutional education - often have a priority of serving the institution's sponsors (society at large). The "student's" personal desires and interests are secondary.

Grant