I've just been reviewing some stuff about selective colleges,
http://economix.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/04/04/what-makes-a-college-selective-and-why-it-matters/,
it turns out that going to a selective college makes a world of difference.

Interestingly, there are 2 selective colleges in New Mexico, 4 selective
colleges in Colorado, and not one more in the mountain region, no colleges
ranked as selective in WY, MT, ID, UT, AZ or NV.

Then again, Google has many employees who never started or finished college
and the number is growing.
http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/20/business/in-head-hunting-big-data-may-not-be-such-a-big-deal.html

-- rec --