On 8/17/13 3:47 PM, glen wrote:
But you're ignoring the fact that these people often do have lives outside their work. And those lives often interfere, cognitively, with their more robot-like optimization methods within their work.
For some reason I remember this random instant of my life. Years ago, over a busy weekend, I got an e-mail from a collaborator as a deadline approached. The individual indicated that they were stepping away to stop by church. It wasn't a terribly important project, at least for me. So, instead of reviewing my heuristics for estimating the priorities of my collaborators, I reflected on how social systems grow up around the frailties of the community and concluded (something like) that social systems can just as well reinforce the robot-like optimization methods as they stigmatize them.

Here's a fun document from 1955.  The NSA conduct guide!

http://cryptome.org/2013/07/nsa-conduct-guide-1955.pdf

Marcus