On 8/17/13 4:23 PM, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:

Here's a fun document from 1955.  The NSA conduct guide!

http://cryptome.org/2013/07/nsa-conduct-guide-1955.pdf

Thanks for the link... I read through it and found it to be a great piece of nostalgia every bit as interesting as episodes of Mad Men or a Formica and Chrome kitchen table. It harkens to a time of innocence that I do miss... lots of fairly plain speaking and appeal to pride and honor as much as threats of dire personal consequence.

While my security briefings during 30 year spanning the new millenium had the same underlying basis, there was a much less innocent tone which equally saddened and offended me.

The passage about keeping a personal diary struck me. Today, I believe I could fairly effectively keep a personal diary in a very effectively encrypted form. On one hand, the chances of the information contained being discovered by a "bad guy" is incredibly low and on the other, so is being discovered in breaking this rule (including sensitive info in my diary) similarly low. It seems that the idea of encrypting (mirror writing ala Da Vinci?) one's personal notes is not a new one.

- Steve