I thought so too.  But here's an experiment.

master dir has this (Attic is in .gitignore and just has stuff removed):
*Home|~/src/cs/test3[649]: ls*
*Attic README.md junk.txt*

while gh-pages has:
*Home|~/src/cs/test3[653]: ls*
*Attic images javascripts stylesheets*
*README.md index.html params.json*

I then run this exeriment: go to each branch, check status .. both clean.
 Then I try the merge.

*Home|~/src/cs/test3[655]: git checkout master*
*Switched to branch 'master'*

*Home|~/src/cs/test3[656]: git status*
*# On branch master*
*nothing to commit, working directory clean*

*Home|~/src/cs/test3[657]: git checkout gh-pages*
*Switched to branch 'gh-pages'*

*Home|~/src/cs/test3[658]: git status*
*# On branch gh-pages*
*nothing to commit, working directory clean*

*Home|~/src/cs/test3[659]: git merge master*
*Removing stylesheets/stylesheet.css*
*Removing stylesheets/pygment_trac.css*
*Removing params.json*
*Removing javascripts/main.js*
*CONFLICT (modify/delete): index.html deleted in master and modified in
HEAD. Version HEAD of index.html left in tree.*
*Removing images/sprite_download.png*
*Removing images/icon_download.png*
*Removing images/blacktocat.png*
*Removing images/bg_hr.png*
*Automatic merge failed; fix conflicts and then commit the result.*

*Home|~/src/cs/test3[660]: git status*
*# On branch gh-pages*
*# You have unmerged paths.*
*#   (fix conflicts and run "git commit")*
*#*
*# Changes to be committed:*
*#*
*# modified:   README.md*
*# deleted:    images/bg_hr.png*
*# deleted:    images/blacktocat.png*
*# deleted:    images/icon_download.png*
*# deleted:    images/sprite_download.png*
*# deleted:    javascripts/main.js*
*# new file:   junk.txt*
*# deleted:    params.json*
*# deleted:    stylesheets/pygment_trac.css*
*# deleted:    stylesheets/stylesheet.css*
*#*
*# Unmerged paths:*
*#   (use "git add/rm <file>..." as appropriate to mark resolution)*
*#*
*# deleted by them:    index.html*
*#*

And the resulting gh-pages looks like:
*Home|~/src/cs/test3[661]: ls*
*Attic README.md index.html javascripts junk.txt*

So yes, it did merge README.md and junk.txt but for some reason deleted
images, javascripts/main, stylsheets and params.json.

I guess there's a configuration problems somewhere.  Maybe the way I pulled
the gh-pages after creating the website on github?  I bet that's it.  But I
did add . and commit in gh-pages and it all worked with a dummy README.md
initially.

The test site is here:
    http://backspaces.github.io/test/
and the gh-pages here, with a dummy README
    https://github.com/backspaces/test

Thanks for the reinforcement, however .. I should go thru all the steps
1-at-a-time and see if there's anything odd there.

   -- Owen