Just looked at it, I like it!

BTW:
    http://oli.jp/2011/github-pages-workflow/
is a post on gh-pages and various ways to manage it.  It in turn was one of
several responses from this:
    http://lea.verou.me/
which discussed the mirroring approach.

What I REALLY want is a bit further down the first link, below.
    git push -f origin master:gh-pages
I tried it and ran into trouble, but I think its the same trouble I
currently have, getting the branches confused.  If it works, I can create a
trivial gh-page from the auto generation tool which simply brings in my
README.md and makes it the content div of the page. I can then not ever
bother with the local gh-pages branch at all!

That'd be nice,

   -- Owen

Merging via git push #<http://oli.jp/2011/github-pages-workflow/#merge-via-push>

Nicolas Gallagher came across another way to merge master into
gh-pages<https://twitter.com/necolas/status/142196996743241729>
 inGitHub’s Help on remotes<http://help.github.com/remotes/#pushing_a_branch> —
you can push your local master branch to the gh-pagesbranch on GitHub:

git push -f origin master:gh-pages

This would replace the last four steps of Lea’s workflow. Your master branch
needs to be a mirror or subset of the remote gh-pages branch, and it means
if you’ve got the gh-pages branch locally it’ll now be behind GitHub’s
version. However, using this method you can essentially ignore (or not even
have) the gh-pages branch locally.

Thanks to Nicolas Gallagher and Paul Irish for ’splaining this to me
(repeatedly :)

The -f (force) makes the push happen even if the gh-pages branch is newer
(avoiding a “non-fast-forward updates were
rejected<http://help.github.com/remotes/#dealing_with_nonfastforward_errors>”
error). When using this method you shouldn’t be working on gh-pages at all,
so the only time this will happen is if someone else pushes changes ahead
of you. In that case you can merge those changes into your local master and
push the gh-pages branch again. This is the shell script for
force-pushing<https://github.com/h5bp/movethewebforward/blob/master/push.sh>
 that Move the Web Forward <http://movethewebforward.org/> uses.