On 04/14/2014 11:41 AM, Marcus G. Daniels wrote:
I've seen this sort of thing used before for threat evaluation.
In that context they identified the resources that a bad guy could use
to accomplish a set of bad things, with the related workflow for each
one, and the (alternative) dependencies for those workflows.  Then one
tries to work through the combinatorics brute force to see what links
are most crucial for maximizing the probability of success for various
bad goals.  (And then take some action to ensure that the links can be
cut in the real world.)

Yep. I also think that simply defining the problem, way before getting to enough clarity for brute force, would go a long way to clarifying the silly arguments we get in today. I think if job reqs and candidate employees simply familiarized themselves with these ontologies as they considered hiring or taking a new position, that simple consideration would go a long way toward more rationality. And I'd be gobsmacked if any of our legislators thought about this stuff with such ontologies in front of them.

Here it is the opposite -- replacing bad things with desired things.
It means being very clear on the relationships between dependencies (or
to represent uncertain mappings somehow), which has yet to occur in this
discussion.  And perhaps harder, to admit that the things you cherish
are nothing more than a node on a graph.  :-)

Having worked on an "human resources capital management" application, in a company that was bought and cannibalized, I had a good opportunity to experience, first hand, the distance between an idealized "human resource" and actual humans. Oddly enough, it just convinced me that we could flesh out the schema and populate such a database (here in the 1st world, anyway) far enough to accommodate brute force if we only had the energy/desire/political will.

But then I start feeling like a dirty communist and have to go chop some firewood or practice takedown/assembly of my 9mm ... with some Ted Nugent playing at 11. ;-)

--
⇒⇐ glen