Nick -

It offers a picture of a three dimensional structure as a model for goings-on in an N dimensional space. Not at all clear to me that the intuitions drawn from a three dimensional model have any use at all in n-dimensional space.

Reread Edwin Abbot Abbot's "Flatland: a Romance in Many Dimensions" ? There are qualitatively new properties that appear in higher dimensional space which in fact are hard to think about in lower dimensional spaces. Very specifically, 0-D space has no "room" for distinct objects... go to 1-D and you can now have objects which are located uniquely along the "number line"... go to 2-D space and said objects can now have relations with eachother (connections as in a graph or network) other than those "adjacent" along the number line.... in 3-D you find that you can make those same *connections* arbitrarily without having "edge" crossings (e.g. a road network requires over/underpasses to avoid crossings while in principle the flight paths of aircars do not).

In the case of an N-Dimensional manifold and 2D surfaces embedded in a 3D space... the idea of a "basin of attraction" is intuitive if we use the landscape metaphor to think about it. In a hydrological landscape (watershed) we have the concept of "drainage basins" which are fairly easy for people to apprehend but invoke all kinds of other thoughts which are *not* necessarily relevant to the problem at hand. For example, there is not really a concept of "flow" within the basin, nor is there one of "erosion" *of* the basin, nor is there an idea of "filling" (like a lake) which is apt to the problem.

I have always been persuaded that a model that requires a model to make it intelligible is no model at all. I mean, either a model is sufficient to bring a phenomenon within the range of some set of useful intuitions, or it is of no value.

In the above example, the 2D surface in a 3D model with 2D bounded regions is a valuable *model* of the mathematical abstraction involved. We *add* the landscape metaphor to it to make it more usefully familiar. If we see the "surface" as a complex of "watersheds", it is perhaps a quicker if not more accurate way to explain the situation.

As usual, our language can help or hinder our understanding. In this case, what we mean by "model" and how that relates to "metaphor". I usually think of *mathematical* models, I suspect you think of *conceptual* models and I'm not sure how you use *metaphor* in this case, perhaps you don't if you are thinking strictly in the sense of a literary metaphor. I use metaphor specifically to be a complex analogy between one domain (target) and another (source). Both domains are ultimately "models" in the sense that the map is *never* the territory. Ideally, the target domain is a very simple abstraction of the territory in question. In our example above... the "territory" is the socioeconomic status of populations and the "map" is a set of points embedded in the parameter space (age, race, gender, income, education, ....) along with an Evolution Function, or essentially the "local" rules (in time) for how an individual "moves" through that space. For example, individuals educational level is a monitonically increasing function with time while their income and assets may trend that way but are NOT strictly monotonic (take a cut in pay, spend savings, etc.).

To *then* translate that geometric description into a more familiar one (watershed), adds a level of familiarity to anyone with limited experience with such geometric spaces but at the same time, it adds potentially unwanted/irrelevant/distracting properties to the understanding/discussion.

So... said simply, I think we "layer" models (both mathematical and conceptual) all the time for various reasons, but when we actually shift to *metaphorical* descriptions to make them more intuitively accessible (especially to laypersons) we also risk *mis*understandings.

I too, look forward to other folks weighing in from other perspectives. I believe that our "common understanding" of such problems as gender/race inequalities tends to be too "simple" which might explain why progress in the domain is both slow and somewhat herky-jerky.

- Steve