Marcus -

I understand that pre-inventing Psychohistory (ala Asimov) is an out-of-reach task. Predictive models in general are hard, and as you say, this one has deeply compounded problems of dimensionality and testability, etc.

What I'm seeking are notional models with more acknowledgement of the complexities and maybe a qualitative hint toward any first or second order "unintended consequences" they might hint at.

Familiar, brutally simple models are on the order of:

1. White Males get all the goodies, everyone else gets bupkis.
2. The rich get richer.

There is plenty of anecdotal evidence that both of these are basically true in many contexts, but I don't think they help us do much except *maybe* continue/restart/accelerate "affirmative action" programs and/or sharpen the blade on the guillotine (for the rich).

A *notional* model helps people think about the problem space, and not just people with a strong technical understanding of the problem space.

The public is trained to look for simple, linear relationships between things and zeroth order effects, I'm just calling for the development of a broader and deeper description of these very relevant problems. Is it possible that we might operate with more hope, more earnestness, maybe even less cynicism if we had models that suggested nonlinear response curves and "tipping points" (as Malcom Gladwell popularized)? We might avoid problems such as are described in Susan Faludi's "Backlash" and "Stiffed" where the most well intentioned reactions to first order symptoms of inequality have lead to various unexpected results that undermined the original intentions of the actions.

Just my $.02
- Steve