Hmm well the short (as compared to tall) answer is that some places screen
software for extra crap. If you use chrome or firefox get a addon called
web of trust as a start.
Cnet and Zdnet are midling, but a start for where to get  safe software.
Anecdotally I don't like how either of those will  try to add extra
"needed" crap- but it's (generally) safe to not agree to installing it.

detailed answers:
Depending on what you do, and if it's in your price range Macbook. MacOS
apps are way less prone to junk (anecdotally).

Otherwise since your likely using windows box get a antivirus program, they
help MS Security Essentials or Avast Anti Virus (free version) are a
start.Norton, Zonealarm eta are also a option.
For back ups I used Norton Ghost, seemed to work. Shadow Protect gets good
reviews, I don't know if they still have a demo to it.

That said anecdotally the Cnet shareware i've gotten doesn't tend to have
virii- but does have add-attachments wich is obnoxous.

A smart-arse saideth to me: "Windows 8? The only virus people willingly
install"