I think what Nick is talking about is not so much mining an existing forum but rather creating a forum whose policies and collective intentions are to build a document (white paper, publishable paper, etc.) collectively. I think Nick is frustrated that the existing tools for such fora are syntactically gunky to the point that someone with his modest skills at hashing text is insufficient.

As I remember it, Nick engaged a number of us in what he called "noodling" based on a wiki structure but with unmoderated policies regarding cross-linking "threads" or more aptly "Noodles"... I remember it as an interesting exercise, well motivated, and possibly sufficient at least for the "brainstorming" phase of a project... It wasn't clear that the tool (wiki) or the policy (ubiquitous cross-linking of threads-as-noodles) would necessarily take us to that next level. The failure, as I remember it was a lack of participation. I don't remember how many of us "threw down" in Nick's Noodle-Bowl, but I'm afraid it probably wasn't enough. My own participation was spotty... a brief surge of interest and participation which died off (naturally) fairly quickly and was perhaps extinguished by a lack of broader participation. Again, memory is weak, Nick's may be better, but I think it was at most a half-dozen who "played" and then it might have been only Nick and I who put much at all into it?

It was an interesting experiment which I think was useful but maybe at best "a good start".

In my own opinion (and experience), I think that the problem of tech support fora has already been identified fairly well here:

 * most people participate only to "take" from the forum
 * many who "give" tend to give anecdotal speculation rather than hard
   facts or useful advice
 * many who "use" the forum tend toward bashing around a little,
   expressing their frustration that the straw/needle ratio is too low,
   thereby throwing more straw in the pile.

I specifically have been using the "Honda Insight" enthusiast forum to try to debug a few problems with my own 2001 Honda Insight (wonderfully/horribly eccentric 0th generation hybrid vehicle) and have at least faulted on the first point of offering little of my own information. This is partly as a consequence of wanting to avoid the second two problems. By the time I actually have enough evidence and experience with a problem, I am mostly relieved (problem solved, or at least understood) that I want to "forget the problems" as quickly as possible, and trying to write a succinct summary of what I learned is a major challenge.

When I do contribute, I try to contribute in the form of documenting my troubleshooting and debugging whilst ubiquitously cross-linking to other threads which have addressed the problem I'm currently chasing. I do this mainly (despite the risk of raising straw/needle ratios) because THAT is where *I* find the most help, when someone chasing a problem, points at a resource that they either know has (or hopes will) help them before falling off that horizon of "well, my problem is fixed now, seeya later and thanks for all of the fish!"...

I agree with Robert who says the ability to talk to a real live technician in real-time is ideal, up to the fact that too often "help line" technicians cannot have the kind of experience a working mechanic (or enthusiast) can have.

Another forum I have used in this manner is an Appliance Repair forum which has helped me through two major Washer/Dryer repair phases. In this case, there are several semi-retired appliance repairmen who apparently enjoy hanging out on the forum, providing expert advice. It seems to be a win/win/win.... they enjoy this labor of love, the company that sponsors the site (an appliance parts supply company) and the users of the forum like me all get something good from it. I made a point in my own case, to summarize my experience from cradle to grave (from first symptoms to final resolution) when I was done... it was easier for me to do this with an Appliance than with a Vehicle or a Computer/Software problem because for the most part, an washer or drier is a somewhat simpler electromechanical device with fewer "hidden variables" and "subsystem dependencies"... things happen in relative real-time, relatively sequentiall. Timers trigger things in sequence, an observer can usually hear/feel/see the results (solenoids, motors, valves, etc.) and the logic is relatively simple (turn on the fan, energize the heating element, if the current exceeds Z open a breaker, if the temperature exceeds X, open the heating element circuit, etc.)

This forum (and WedTech) do not really qualify (for me) as a "problem solving forum" though I do see we use it that way sometimes... but more in the mode of a "call for ideas"... with a cascade of responses ranging from flippant to acutely helpful with a modest amount of "idle speculation" in the middle of that gaussian distribution. This forum (and WedTech) is almost entirely (IMO) a forum for announcing interesting things and discussing the implications of them. Of course, what is interesting to one is often not interesting to another, and I think we collectively have a fairly good idea of who is interested in what, but wonderfully an erstwhile lurker or even a regular participant throws down on a topic unexpectedly with significant utility (i.e. insight, unique new information, directly useful experience or knowledge).

I have worked on Decision Support Systems and Collaborative Tools which I think indicates that I have some hope and some experience in this domain. I think it will be a long while before the holy grail is achieved of structuring unstructured process in arbitrary ways. One of my projects in this domain (entitled Faceted Ontologies) *did* attempt to get a handle on structuring unstructured information artifacts, or perhaps more to the point, ingesting information artifacts with one type of structure, normalizing the structure, then allowing individuals to restructure or extract artifacts and correlations according to a structure more relevant to them. That problem was uber-hard, we did not do more than outline an approach in 2 years of work.

All that said, I think it is an interesting (but hard) problem and I applaud the intentions of folks like Nick who seek to achieve even a small win in this domain and I applaud those who build little tiny tools as bridges to begin to approach the foothills of such problems.

- STeve
Nick,

That sounds like a cool "big data" research project. There are solutions at the command-line level to some of your problem - scripts and lexical analyzers can extract the "meat" of the medium, but that just gives you a pile of random cuts of meat. Big data may be able to recognized different cuts and sort them into a butcher shop display case (like my local Sprouts or Kellers).

However, as Robert pointed out - the majority of comments are frequently questions without answers in technical forums. A display case of nothing but hamburger is not very useful - so there needs to be something more. Frequently, the most frustrating aspect is that one has to look at every possible thread to find the one thread where the correct answer is given.

The question and answer section of Amazon's product pages seems like a successful model - they simply ask the question of every person whose ever bought the item in question.

Ray Parks
Consilient Heuristician/IDART Program Manager
V: 505-844-4024  M: 505-238-9359  P: 505-951-6084
NIPR: rcpa...@sandia.gov <mailto:rcpa...@sandia.gov>
SIPR: rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov <mailto:rcpar...@sandia.doe.sgov.gov> (send NIPR reminder)
JWICS: dopa...@doe.ic.gov <mailto:dopa...@doe.ic.gov> (send NIPR reminder)