Glen,

Nice Wikipedia entry.  If that is not what I meant, it certainly is what I
SHOULD have meant.

I have been sufficiently distracted by family over the last two weeks that I
don't know what is what with this discussion To recap: if I remember, I first
tried to find out if we are talking about theism, or the wider category of
metaphysical belief.  Somebody helped me clarify that.  But now, you, Glen,
seem to be confusing them.  Or perhaps it's me that WANTS to confuse them.
Induction requires metaphysics.  There are some things  that you have to
believe before you can start believing in FACTS.   So, if you think one can
survive without metaphysics, I think you are wrong.

But does the metaphysics have to be theistic, in any sense.  Here is where my
confusion begins.  In order to put my feet out of bed every morning, I have to
believe there is still a floor under the bed.  That belief is clearly empirical
but it is also based on a healthy dose of metaphysics that tells me that the
world is not the sort of place where floors disappear without some sort of
provocation.  Having no indications of such a provocation, I am justified in
believing that the floor is there.  That belief takes the form of my
unhesitatingly putting my feet out.

So, I would say, I don't have to believe in God to get up every morning, but I
do have to belief in The Floor.  Now, is my Belief in Floor a religious belief?
 Speaking for myself:  I think my belief in Floor is religious.  It's hard for
me to think of a belief in God as anything but a belief in that which endures,
despite any reason to believe that it endures, and my Faith in Floor is an
example of such a belief.

Clear as mud,

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson