The big issue Europe, and France in particular faces, is "multiculturalism"
vs "cultural integration". The US is structured to favor the latter.
Europe the former.

The co-existence approach (multiculturalism) can in the worst of cases lead
to ghettos and isolation, leading to anger and hate.

I have zero idea if this is part of the apparent (and definitely not real)
perception that islam, rather than islamic nut cases, is the cause of the
current violence.

   -- Owen