Jochen,

Historically, I have had terrible trouble with the way some folks employ
“symmetry” on this list. Steve G. and I used to get into tangles about this.  I
get that crystals have “symmetry”, but beyond that, I am struggling to
understand what you mean.  Perhaps you might explicate for those of us who have
a hard time not thinking of symmetry as just “being the same on the right as on
the left, etc.”

I am further made very nervous with any implication that literature “owns”
metaphor whereas scientists are given to plain speech.  I think this way of
think VASTLY under states the role of metaphor in science.   Think Natural
Selection, for instance.  Also, I have often wondered if a metaphor with
magnetism lay behind Newton’s thinking on gravity.  Lodestones were of great
interest to scientists in Court at the time because of their usefulness in
navigation, but also as a curiousity.   Lakoff and Nunen (?) describe the
central role of metaphors in the development of mathematics.  Peirce’s emphasis
on “sign” places something very like metaphor at the center of all scientific
thought.

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

Clark University