On 03/10/2015 08:17 PM, Carl Tollander wrote:
> This may throw something (light?) on the issue.
>
> http://cheng.staff.shef.ac.uk/morality/morality.pdf

"I wonder if there are there any moralists who are applied mathematicians?"

Absolutely!  And moralist physicians, physicists, truck drivers, and glass
blowers.

I wasn't convinced "morality" was a good term for the concept until the phrase:
"Asking 'Why?' is like asking what the moral of the story is."  At that point,
I softened a bit to the idea.  But I still think it's wrong.  The author is
seeking something more like unification or coherence. (Cheng even expresses
threads of unity throughout the paper.)  Using the word "morality" for this is
abuse of the term... perhaps only a small abuse, though.... a little white lie
that makes their lives easier ... an immorally moral act.

> The reason I'm tossing this in may not become apparent until a ways into it,
> when mathematical "morality" notions are used to address abstraction.

They (and the author) clearly just stole the word and redefined it
irresponsibly.  It's a great example of the evils of jargon.  And I think it's
not only reasonable, but _moral_, actually moral, for the philosophers to
object to the theft.  I guess I kinda see it as akin to trademarks.  Whoever
has put the most meaning and effort into a term has rights to it.  Philosophers
have a much more refined and pedigreed definition of "morality" than that laid
out in the article for mathematical morality.  Hence, it's clear who's doing
the thieving.

I'll leave it to metaphorfiliacs to render an opinion on whether mathematical
morality is a metaphor.  But it's certainly an abuse of the word.

Just to be clear, I'm a huge fan of abusing artifacts.  Abuse brings out the
best in all artifacts.  E.g. circuit bending, hacking, reverse engineering,
whittling with an axe, hammering with a screwdriver, flipping your guitar
upside down, ... Everything is permitted! Embrace Error!  I'm less of a fan of
the abuse of persons... but I admit that even that type of abuse can have
surprisingly positive outcomes.  And I can't help but appreciate the layers of
Cheng's rhetoric.  And one thing is fundamentally clear, math is not science,
math is not the science of analogy ... such an onion of abuse!  Whew!  I swoon.
;-)

--
⇒⇐ glen e. p. ropella
If there's something left of my spirit