OK.  Well, I liken it to evidence-based medicine.  I don't really consider that
sort of thing dilution or lowering the bar.  It seems to me they're simply
trying to ground policy in science.  It's certainly extension of the science
into non-scientific domains.  And anytime you do that, you run the risk of
backflow from the non-science into the science.  So, having the same people do
both activities is risky.  You can't win if you don't play, though.