Having said that well I for one can only speculate why java has/had a
history of not caching on. Though I am amused how the web has managed to go
full circle.
Why do I say that, it seems as if the goal to applets and node is simillar
to: DHTML
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_HTML

DHTML, was ahead it's time because you could make pages yes even those, the
ones that beeped-to what became known as a blog.

They also seem to want to get things running in the browser like MS bugy
gem's
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActiveX

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Framework