I have to admit to a fascination on evolution of language.  Remember The
MacNeil/Lehrer Report? Robert MacNeil had a great series on the evolution
of English, even to influence of the sea islands (Gullah),

There are some downsides.  I'm bitchy about a few usages: If I *was* should
be If I were, subjunctive. Loan is a noun so I can not "loan you something"
.. "lend (verb) you something". Less -> Fewer.  It goes on.

I bet we all have our own favorites.

   -- Owen