From: Friam [mailto:friam-boun...@redfish.com] On Behalf Of John Kennison
Sent: Tuesday, February 23, 2016 12:51 AM
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Weeds of pragmatism: Subjectivity and intimacy

I don't know it I am following all this correctly, but I would like to apply it
to the question of doing History scientifically. At the start all we have are
relics from the past  --maybe we are uncertain which objects and/or documents
really go back to a historical period under examination--but we have some way
of testing for various relations between these relics. Se then look for a
theory of the past which best accounts for the relics that we have. We may be
able to measure how well different theories do this accounting. And the set opf
measutres we arrive at is then history.

But would some historian be dualists if they say there is a real truth about
what happened in the past, it's just that we this real truth may not be
recoverable.