On 03/02/2016 09:12 AM, Owen Densmore wrote:
http://quillette.com/2016/02/15/the-unbearable-asymmetry-of-bullshit/

"When I say bullshit, I mean arguments, data, publications, or even the official
policies of scientific organizations that give every impression of being perfectly
reasonable — of being well-supported by the highest quality of evidence, and so forth —
but which don’t hold up when you scrutinize the details. Bullshit has the veneer of
truth-like plausibility. It looks good. It sounds right. But when you get right down to
it, it stinks." -- Earp

"In On Bullshit, the philosopher Frankfurt (2005) defines bullshit as something that
is designed to impress but that was constructed absent direct concern for the truth. This
distinguishes bullshit from lying, which entails a deliberate manipulation and subversion
of truth (as understood by the liar)." -- Pennycook et al 2015

I think there's a drastic (but perhaps subtle to some) difference between these
two conceptions of bullsh!t.  And as much as I don't really like the Pennycook
et al paper, I agree more with their definition than Earp's.

But the more important point is this idea that the energy required to refute
bullsh!t is somehow a waste ... or wrong, lamentable ... or somesuch.  Earp is
guilty of the precise fallacy of which he accuses others, building a straw man
named Voldemort, then pelting it with self-righteous insults and indignation.
What's that?  A 1,720 word article full of bias and myopia?!?  How much effort
would it take to argue with Earp's bullsh!t? ... to see beneath the truth-like
veneer he props up?

The trick is that such energy use/waste _is_ science.  Earp and those like him miss the
point entirely.  They yap on and on, laying out endless bullsh!t about _the_ truth, what
they see as the end product of our energy, and they call those end products
"science".  They're so wrong, and they pollute the air so completely with their
wrongness, that it is very difficult to refute them.

In the end, though, you can't think of people like Earp as _bad_ people.
They're just magical thinkers.  They believe in unicorns and rainbows and
wonder why we can't just skip to the _end_.  Earp already knows the truth,
knows reality, and wonders why we have to spend so much time and effort
slogging through the actual science.

--
⇔ glen