Ed,

Continuing in my Luddite mode:

What on earth does one need broad band for to do word processing?  (See below).

You do point to one use that even Luddites might make use of … backup.  Having
cloud backup was all very well until I realized that recovery from a crash
would require 8 light years to accomplish given my connection to the Cloud.
Consequently, I had to  I spent a whole week huddled by an Ethernet port at my
university getting my data back.  And that, of course, was not an image, so
then I spent another three weeks getting my software up and running again.  It
was the summer from hell.  I guess broad band might have made it possible for
me to store an image of my hard drive and bypass all of that?

Do others have very specific advantages that would flow from having 1-gig
service in the City?

Nick

Nicholas S. Thompson

Clark University