TCL/Tk, eh? Minsky is an graphically-based open-source dynamical
systems simulator I've mostly written using TCL/Tk that weighs in
around 10K lines. I've often fantasised about porting it to a
different toolkit, one that supports web browsers, and/or tablets. Qt
being one possibility.

Remind me not to use Gnome if at all possible. Bits of gnome are used
in Minsky, for doing things like font and SVG rendering, but used
reluctantly, because those APIs are just plain ugly, obviously written
by someone with a disdain for the C++ way of doing things.

Cheers

On Mon, May 09, 2016 at 07:47:01PM -0400, Roger Critchlow wrote:
> I've done a completely "off my lawn" thing over the past few weeks.
> Playing Mahjong solitaire on Ubuntu is one of my vices, but I don't like
> the way the supplied program works in many ways.   At least twice I've
> downloaded the source for gnome-mahjongg and looked at it until my eyes
> started bleeding and gave up.  It's a gnome application and, furthermore,
> it's a gnome-game application, its source code is not its source code, it's
> source code is a specialization of a framework that's a specialization of a
> framework.
>
> I've written my own version of mahjong in Tcl, Tk, and Snit.  The entire
> source, including the svg for the tile set (which I stole from
> gnome-mahjongg and rewrote), comes to 3382 lines of code as of right now.
> Tcl is the other scripting language that isn't Perl and isn't Python and
> isn't Ruby.  Tk is the user interface toolkit written for Tcl to prove that
> there could be a one line "hello world" progam for X windows, which
> subsequently has become available on Windows, Mac, Android, Perl, Python,
> and Ruby.  Snit is a pure Tcl object extension for Tcl, that also allows
> you to extend Tk widgets.
>
> It's not really a fair comparison, since I left out all the layouts and
> tile sets that I don't use, and I haven't even implemented everything I
> planned to do, and I didn't even plan to implement it all, and everything
> doesn't work right, either.  None the less, I can play Mahjongg solitaire
> with my 3382 line Tcl/Tk/Snit script, and the source tree for
> gnome-majongg-3.20.0 is 19.5 Mbytes and 576 files or directories.
>
> http://github.com/recri/mahjong, I think it may be a better program if I
> purposely leave some bugs in it,

Dr Russell Standish                    Phone 0425 253119 (mobile)
Principal, High Performance Coders
Visiting Senior Research Fellow        hpco...@hpcoders.com.au
Economics, Kingston University         http://www.hpcoders.com.au