I tend to use the word "algorithm" to mean processes that are guaranteed to
stop.  Anything that's not guaranteed to stop is simply a "process".  The
process below may or may not have a guaranteed stop, depending on how it's
implemented[*].  If you had not said "ask dad" and "dad says", then it would
more directly imply its implementation.  But the way you've described it sounds
like it has parallel processes (me versus dad), in which case, I might wait for
dad's response forever (because dad is in an infinite loop or perhaps there's a
comm. failure... whatever).

[*] Definiteness (definitude?) is not simple! 8^)

--
☢ glen