Hi Robert Cordingley,

I thought your follow-up question--about analog computing--to Nick's is an
intriguing one, especially in the context of the definition for computing
that Steven brought. Solving a set of differential equations certainly
leads to an answer, though not necessarily to a discrete answer.  This *is *a
process that involves a specific trajectory through a continuous phase
space ... so, perhaps, that trajectory can be thought of as your "accept
state" of sorts.

To be sure, is analog computing still computing?  What are the states in
the continuous-phase space of analog computing and how does this paradigm
compare with the discrete states of a finite state machine?   Perhaps as a
key idea, if we can liken state space
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_space> with phase space
<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_space> then analog computing seems to
fit rather well into the general genre of computing.

State space is conceptually similar to phase space
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase_space>, but for discrete rather than
> continuous dynamical systems.

Thus, I see *analog computing* just as a *different *species of computing
that has some advantages over digital computing: speed and theoretical
precision depending on the application and the precision of measurement.
Biological systems are continuous dynamical analog systems and, in fact,
parallel processing systems of multiple simultaneous inputs.

As it turns out MIT (and DARPA) are rediscovering the advantages of analog
computing for simulating biological systems
<http://news.mit.edu/2016/analog-computing-organs-organisms-0620>.

BUT, I don't want to go so far as to say that living systems are computers;
and so, this caveat would seem to conflict with categorizing analog
computing as the *same *species as digital computing.  In terms of this
argument then, I see digital computing as a possible virtualization of
analog computing.  We can solve differential equations on digital computers
as well.  Yes?

Going a bit further, some liken the universe to an infinite-state-machine
(ISM) which may or may not be more powerful than a Turing Machine, but this
gets a bit philosophical. Still, could analog computing be thought of as a
localized ISM?  Not sure.  Maybe let's not go there.

Interesting to reflect on this in the context of Nick's original question
or thought experiment.  Such reflection does seem to be able to take the
conversation along different trajectories, but hopefully not straying too
far from the original question.  It's easy to get lost in the weeds ... and
maybe I have here.  šŸ˜Š

Cheers,

-R