Seems my other email address is jammed up ... made it to the archives, though.

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: Re: [FRIAM] Understanding you-folks
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2016 13:51:13 -0700
From: glen ☣ <geprope...@gmail.com>
To: The Friday Morning Applied Complexity Coffee Group <friam@redfish.com>

Well, we're in some rarefied air, now ... but since most of you are in Santa
Fe, you're used to it.  I'll give you 3 ways (I find interesting) that meaning
might be non-computational (or at least not 1st order):

   1) Rosen: loopiness/closure,
   2) situatedness, embeddedness (Penrose: quantum embeddedness), and
   3) coherence (who?).

(1) has to do with higher order operations.  A variable takes on meaning when
(partially) convolved into an anticipatory agent ... some process that
expects/anticipates the future.  (2) A variable takes on meaning when it
interacts with the milieu (probably bound by a light cone). And (3) a variable
takes on meaning when/if it perfectly integrates with every sentence (again
probably bound by some inferential proximity) in the system.

These are types of binding that are distinct from, say, plugging in a constant
or yet another schema.