Hm.  I can't shake the feeling you're relying on some ambiguity in "meaningful
distinction".  If you admit distinctions in things like domain knowledge,
correctness, verified code, tolerances, sensitivities, etc., then why not admit
there are meaningful distinctions in _types_ of computation?

Sure, it all may boil down to distinctions of degree rather than kind.  But
(going back to definiteness) any 2 points in a continuum are still distinct
points, even if they are arbitrarily close.  And discretization of continuous
data has proven a valuable technique.  So, we're not going to stop doing it.
Hence, we'll end up with at least 2 types of computation, anyway, the one
called "living systems" versus the purely mechanical ... even if, in full
reduction, they are fundamentally the same kind.  So, we may as well allow the
distinction now and see where it takes us.

--
☢ glen